Monday, November 19, 2007

Parenting at its finest

As I mentioned in my last post, the boys are sick right now. Andrew has a bad cough and Owen has some serious nasal congestion. Andrew has a history of chest colds. A typical pattern for Andrew is to get the sniffles and a few days later develop a cough that can take weeks to fully resolve. He's been this way since he was a very young baby and hasn't really out grown it. Early on we would hook him up to a nebulizer so he could inhale a mist of either steriods or a bronchodialtor. These drugs would help for a brief period of time (a couple of hours) and then he'd start coughing again. Eventually he would get better. When Andrew gets sick now, we keep an eye on him to make sure he's not developing a fever and that there are no major changes in his behavior (lethargy, sleeping much more than usual, etc.) and don't worry too much about it. Often some OTC cough suppresant works well.

Andrew began to get a cold late last week. By Friday he was coughing quite a bit.

Have I told you that I love our Kindercare? Our Kindercare seems to go out of their way to do really fun activities for the kids and the parents. Friday night, Kindercare hosted a parent's night out. They stayed open from 6:30 to 9:30 pm to give parents an opportunity to go out without the kids.

Have I told you that before Friday, it had been months since Eric and I went out on a date?

Remember when I was telling you about how Andrew was sick on Friday?

At four pm on Friday when I picked up the boys, as I walked in the door the center director told me Andrew was having a bit of a rough day but he could still come to parents night out.

What should I do? How could I not stay home with Andrew? He's so little, and feels crappy and when you're little and feel crappy, you kinda just want to hang out on the couch all bundled up with your mom close by. On the flip side, how could I not take advantage of a long overdue night out with my hubby and good friends? Eric and I need to keep our marriage our priority and have fun and adult interaction too.

In the end, I decided that Andrew was going to be fine, and that night he was either going to watch a movie at Kindercare or at our house. I felt and feel conflicted about the whole thing. But no harm no foul right?

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I agree with your choice. Making your marriage a priority is really important, and like you said nights without the kids probably don't happen too often.

Kelly said...

oh yeah, I wanted to say to bring some warm clothes to Texas. The high tomorrow is 81... But, we are getting a "blue norther", and it supposed to be cold Thursday and on. If you haven't checked weather.com, check it out.

Leslie said...

Kelly, thank you for the weather heads up!

GeGe said...

Tim always reminds me that we are not going to outer space. If we forget something there is a mall a few miles away. I think he forgets things on purpose so he can buy new stuff. How many hats have we bought over the years???
Can't wait to pitch in to help.

Mara said...

Sick kids on the plane again, can't wait to hear how this story ends.

Jennifer said...

Andrew's congestion sounds familiar to me. Eric chest, Jon ears, Mara throat. I'd be surprised if you were able to avoid these childhood issues in some form, in the air, on land or sea. That is why Eric became a swimmer, Jon a runner, Mara a reader and me....lessons in longsuffering. It will come in handy with the home improvement projects too. Happy Thanksgiving Holiday. Keep your hoods up. Love, Ma

Copyright © SoCal Caprons | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs