Friday, June 06, 2008

Its not easy being green

Ways the Socal Capron household embraces the Green lifestyle:

1. We drive a Prius! We can still fill 'er up for under $30
2. We have no lawn - the water saving is tremendous!
3. We grow our own veggies!
4. We buy organic and local by shopping at our local farmers market
5. We brew our coffee at home - no paper cups from Starbucks!
6. We forget to put our garbage out and are forced to reduce our waste because we have no way to get dispose of it!
7. We recycle!
8. Owen's wardrobe is mostly thanks to Andrew!
9. We use a green dry cleaners that uses no harsh chemicals
10. Only three people live here during the week saving tons on electrics and water usage!

Ways the SoCal Caprons aren't so green

1. Our Prius mostly lives in the airport parking lot while I'm driving our minivan all over town and Eric FLIES to his job.
2. All of Eric's resource consumption is Northern California's problem
3. Not really using canvas bags for our grocery shopping
4. We do about a thousand loads of laundry a week
5. I am hand washing our dishes because I haven't gotten around to fixing our dish washer so I'm using more water than our dishwasher would

So I guess we try. We're not always successful, but that's got to be better than nothing! How is your household green?

4 comments:

Mara said...

Your own garden vegetables, cool, I want to start one too!

Jennifer said...

Hey..I'm into that. I salvaged an old window to heat up my garden spot....we now have 6 chickens...I won't tell you how much the fence and house is costing....I am using recycled boards/window...I'm doing a little composting...I give some of my neighbors a ride to town or pick them up something on my way..I've tried to cut down on my trips...I make dog biscuits out of some of our left overs...I take my give-a-ways to the post office corner and they are used by others..the sun warms our house, winds cool, I am using a clothesline, washing a bit less,investigating solar for my new house at Bayview...etc.....

Anonymous said...

While the girls are away I eat solely @ the restaurant, I haven't had to take my garbage out in 3 weeks (I don't create any waste), recycle all beer & gin bottles, cancelled my paper subscription- don't drive on my weekends. All because I've been spending my weekends in SF! Once again, my waste is CA's problem.

MonarchBeach said...

Can you tell me what green dry cleaners you use? I have found only one near Dana Point and am very disappointed in their service. Thank you.

Copyright © SoCal Caprons | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs