Monday, August 08, 2011

Scariest hour of my life

Saturday afternoon, we decided to make our 4th and last trip to the Orange County Fair. Boy, I love the fair. Tons of greasy food and so much to see and do! On the way, right as we were merging onto the freeway, we blew a tire. Luckily, Eric was driving and didn't panic, and swerve into traffic, but it was clear that we needed to pull over, immediately. Right onto the side of the freeway. So here we were sitting in my worst nightmare: on the shoulder of the freeway, with ALL the kids in the back as traffic is screaming by at 70 miles an hour. Of course I left my cell phone at home - why would I need it? And Eric's phone battery was on red. Thankfully, he had enough juice to call roadside assistance and ask for some help. (No way was Eric going to try to change a tire on the freeway!!) The estimated arrival time for help was one hour. Yikes. So we waited in the car for an hour, as I prayed that no texting, calling, distracted driver plowed into us. Thankfully, that didn't happen and we got help getting the spare on the car (while I kept three kids out of traffic on the shoulder!). That whole experience makes me feel like flying is the only way to travel.

Here's our view. It was much less scary looking out the front than looking at the back and seeing all the traffic flying by. I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture!

flat tire

Here's Andrew and Owen perusing magazine at All American Tire. I totally recommend them by the way. Super helpful and our service guy even tried to see if he could patch the tire, but the hole went straight through the tread. We ended up getting four new tires, plus warranty and a free tire rotatation every three months. Someone was NOT going to get caught on the side of the road again!

boys reading their magazine

The kids were troopers. We walked over to Wahoo's Fish Taco's for lunch and by the time we got back the car was done and ready to go. We decided that we'd had enough excitement for one day and headed home. We got to the fair on Sunday.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

So very thankful that everyone is okay. That would be freaky~ God is certainly watching over you all.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you stated in a much more direct way what I was trying to communicate, thanks, I will recommend your site to my friends.

My blog:
agence rachat credit www.rachatdecredit.net

Copyright © SoCal Caprons | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs