Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Long overdue

Since reading Animal Vegetable Miracle a few years ago I've really wanted to start feeding the family local organic food. But with me, my good eating intentions are usually swamped by my need for quick, easy and convenient purchases. I'm not always making the best food choices, but the fastest choice. But I'm making progress! We stick to organic dairy products now (thanks Rachel!) and we finally joined a local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program. It's really easy and a no-brainer. Literally, I don't pick the veggies, they do! I just have to pick up a box filled with local seasonal produce.

The biggest challenge is cooking with ingredients I usually don't buy. Like eggplant. Grilled is ok. And now we are getting into the zucchini zone. Yesterday our box had green AND yellow zucchini. But its fun to try new things. And now that two kiddos are in school/preschool, I have little more time to futz around in the kitchen. Biggest winner so far: homemade tomato sauce, biggest loser: a marinated eggplant recipe
I found on epicurious.com. Yuck.

Tanaka Farms Box

Those aren't white carrots!  They're radishes!

Lovely Lettuce

Yummy Basil

6 comments:

Kelly said...

3 thoughts
1. you could always use some of that pretty basil in vase sort of as a modified flower arrangement
2. I fry up eggplant for eggplant parmesan... maybe doesn't keep it super healthy, but it makes it good
and
3. I put a recipe for stuffed zucchini on our blog somewhere- maybe 2009ish... It is super yummy- bread crumbs and parmesian cheese make anything good- once again not making it extra nutritious, but if it gets everyone eating zucchini, it is worth it! Also have you tried just baking it with some olive oil on top?

Anonymous said...

Love this post!
Your Organic Milk Fanatic Friend,
Rachel

Jeanie said...

I chop up yellow squash and zuchini and freeze it for my tortilla soup in the fall~ It is good~

Anonymous said...

Zucchini muffins. Add chocolate chips if need be.

Organic ones of course.

:) Rachel

Leslie said...

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Hoffmom said...

oooo that box looks heavenly!!! With our eggplant, we'll first chop up n' cook some sausage, then throw in diced eggplant - it will soak up all the sausage juices, then we add tomato sauce and have spaghetti! :)

Copyright © SoCal Caprons | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs