Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Andrew and the race car


Andrew and the race car, originally uploaded by leslie_capron.

Yesterday Andrew told us he liked three things:

1. Planes
2. Trains
3. NASCAR

That pretty much sums up life around here. Well, not really. That sums up Andrew's life. He is much too busy with the planes, trains and NASCAR to think much about Sarah (if you were wondering how he has reacted to her, I can honestly say that Andrew pretty much ignores her because he is much too involved in his own things. He DOES however like to play with Owen and they are so close that Andrew regularly insists that Owen accompany him to the bathroom - at least its not me anymore!). Our weekends now usually include an hour or two of watching the NASCAR Nationwide Series or the Sprint Cup Series (but never the Camping World truck series - crap, I think I'm now officially a redneck because I know the names of these races and have a favorite driver, anyhoo, where was I?) Yes, an hour or two of NASCAR, a trip down to the train station in San Juan Capistrano to watch the Surfliner train come by a time or two (after a stop at Pedro's tacos), and afternoon time on YouTube watching 474's take off and land. Lately too, we've been spending a lot of time at the pool. Both boys love the pool and we love it because it guarantees these boys go to sleep at bed time.

Andrew is just about to read. He is starting to recognize words and I think by the end of the year he'll be reading books on his own. Since Sarah arrived we've been much more strict with the routines around here - We start every night at 7:30: bath, books and bed time. With this routine, we're much more disciplined about reading to the boys every night.

We're seeing the good and the not so good of having siblings so close in age. Andrew and Owen can play together marvelously and enjoy each other's company, but they can also fight too. Our best weapon against the fighting is to take the boys outside and let them run around and give each other some space. Often after I pick the boys up from pre-school we stop by the park to let them run around more and get really good and tired.

As Andrew is maturing he's having more fun with kids other than Owen too. Yesterday he told me he was a new friend to the kids at swimming lessons. I can see now that he is enjoying other kids more. At swimming lessons, one boy was squirting Andrew with water from a toy and Andrew thought this was hilarious. Not so long ago, this would have had Andrew crying.

To sum up, Andrew's becoming a big boy and is less and less fearful about new things and new people, I have to say this is a fun and exciting time to be his mom!

1 comment:

Tindy said...

Leslie:

My boy's love each other and still pay together and also got in a few jabs at each other as well. My neighbors would drive by snd told me they thought my boy's liked the view from outside on the front porch. Actually that was thier designated(by me) cooling of spot. Kind of like, "Back to your corners"

Copyright © SoCal Caprons | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs