Friday, December 07, 2007

Help!

My idea about posting pictures everyday was inspired by my desired to take better pictures. I am truely a novice photographer and am frightened and perplexed by all of the nobs, buttons and electronic menus on my Nikon D50. When I go for the instruction manual for help and begin to read about f-stops, apertures and depth of field, my brain begins to melt and oozes out of my ears.

Can my interweb peeps help me?

Here's what I am struggling with: taking photos of the kids at night in my house when the ambiant light is just this side of crap-tastic. I have read one picture taking advice book and the one thing I learned is: DO NOT USE THE FLASH. Which was a revelation for me. Searching for natural light and using it has really improved my pictures of the kids. But what to do when there is no natural light? Night pictures of fast moving kids is a near impossibility without the flash. Are there things I can do with all of the nobs, dials and setting on my camera to make a better picture just using the light around me?

Thanks in advance. And if the answer is just suck it up and use the flash, that's cool too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, your photos are amazing.
Secondly, the flash issue is the great unsolved mystery, isn't it?
My camera has some "scene" settings, which seem to help, but only minimally.
I do hear your pain.
My solution? All photo ops must occur during daylight hours! And of course, to make things difficult, Jewish Holidays occur at sun down. So I went really overboard on candle decorations.Fire hazard? Probably. But my pictures were cute!
Best wishes in your endeavors.
Rachel

Leslie said...

Ahh, candles. Great idea.

Anonymous said...

Bryan says just use the on camera flash. Use Matrix metering - that will help too. Email me and tell me if you are trying to do this at night outside, or inside under low lighting?? etc.
~V
PS - Digital = Difficult

Copyright © SoCal Caprons | Blog Template by Lilipop Designs